Jake Mackenzie dribbles into the penalty area but can't get shot away
Jake Mackenzie dribbles into the penalty area but can’t get shot away

Whitstable Town 1 Faversham Town 3

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Tuesday 28th October 2014

Whitstable sunk to a third consecutive home defeat as they went down 3-1 at home to promotion chasing Faversham Town.

Faversham started off the brighter and their first opportunity came on four minutes when Wayne Wilson hit a shot just the wrong side of the post. Within three minutes Dave Botterill had a point blank header that was saved by Whitstable keeper Luke Watkins. Another shot from Wilson on 12 minutes was this time pushed around the post by Watkins. Town had their first opportunity on fourteen minutes when Jake Mackenzie weaved his way past four defenders but left his shot too late and the ball was saved by Simon Overland. This seemed to give Whitstable some heart as a Tom Loynes corner 4 Ball on it's wayfound Nick Treadwell who headed wide. On twenty minutes another Loynes cross found Kane Rowland who side footed wide. Then came a controversial moment on 26 minutes as Nick Treadwell headed at keeper Overland who fumbled into the past of Joe Kennett who slid the ball home. However the goal was ruled out by the referee for an infringement he had seen.  Town continued to threaten and on 28 minutes Rowland volleyed wide and then on 38 minutes a Kennett header was well held by Overland.

Faversham regained the initiative in the second half and within five minutes of the restart Matt Bourne had a shot from around the penalty shot which he sent high over the bar. However Faversham broke the deadlock a minute later when Jamie Maxted fired home a rebound after Watkins had saved.  Four minutes later Wilson blasted over the Whitstable bar. The hosts did have chance after 57 minutes when substitute Scott Heard cut in and shot over the target from edge of the penalty area. However the initiative remained with the visitors as Jack Harris firstly ran on to the ball but shot wide after 63 minutes and on 77 minutes this time he refiled a shot over the bar.

Ian Pulman slides home consolation penalty
Ian Pulman slides home consolation penalty

Faversham were to increase their lead on 78 minutes when a save from Watkins fell at the feet of Josh Stanford who slotted home. With four minutes to go the referee awarded Faversham a penalty and up stepped Wilson who sent  the penalty into the corner with Watkins getting a hand to it. Right at the end of normal time Reiss Crimmen broke in and shot just wide and then with the last action of the half Ian Pulman was brought down in the penalty area. He got up to get a consolation for Whitstable. In the build up to the penalty the referees assistant saw an off the ball incident and Sam Bewick was given a red card.

It was another disappointing result for Whitstable who must now regroup before the visit to Corinthian-Casuals on Saturday.

Team: Watkins, Mackenzie, Crimmen, Gray, Kennett, Treadwell, Loynes, Girt, Pulman, Rowland, Wedgeworth (Heard 57mins)