Danny Ward in an interview with Kent On Line looked back at the South Park game and previewed the Herne Bay game on Boxing Day


Whitstable’s players sat in their kit for more than an hour after losing at South Park on Saturday to a late goal which joint-boss Danny Ward says was the worst a side of his has ever conceded. Town looked like they had snatched a last-minute point in an ill-tempered affair –which saw the hosts have six players booked and two sent-off – only to concede a last-minute goal which Ward described as “pathetic.”  It led to a dressing room conference where the players and Ward brothers (Danny and Jim) cleared the air after a fourth defeat in five games, which saw Whitstable drop to 14th in Ryman League, Division 1 South.

Danny Ward said: “It was another three points we’ve given away. It’s not all panic stations, though. We are not far away. We could so easily have been sat here with nine more points and in the play-off places.” He added: “We lost the game because we let in two comical goals – their winner was the worst goal I have ever conceded in football.

“They took the kick-off after we scored and basically walked past our midfield. The lad had a shot from the edge of the box, it wasn’t a proper shot even, it went through the centre-half’s legs and ended up in the corner. It was pathetic.” Ward revealed the players sat in the dressing room for 75 minutes after the 2-1 defeat, adding: “We had a good conversation and everyone had their say. It was 6pm before they got in the shower. There’s no point shouting, even though you might want to out of frustration but they did not play badly.

“Five or six of the lads texted the next day apologising but it wasn’t the performance that cost us. In fact, we’ll probably keep the same team on Friday.” Herne Bay are the visitors for a Boxing Day derby at 3pm and Ward said: “It’s a big game, massive. There’s not much Kent football at that time. Hopefully, there will be a big crowd.”

Defender Ollie Gray could return, while Nick Treadwell will be assessed after being forced off on Saturday by an ankle injury.

Interview courtesy of KM Group