Stuart King opens the scoring for Whitstable
Stuart King opens the scoring for Whitstable

Whitstable Town 1 Hastings United 2

Ryman Football league Division One (South)

Saturday 16th January 2016

Whitstable were sunk in the mud in the last moments of the game as Hastings United came away with a 2-1 win at the Belmont on Saturday afternoon.

The game started very differently as Town took the initiative in the first half with Taser Hassan having the first attempt after just a minute when he shot straight at Hastings keeper Dan Rose. Whitstable continued to press and a melee in a crowded penalty area saw both Dean Grant and Stuart King crowded out. On 21 minutes Wayne Wilson had a snapshot from twenty yards that went just wide. Hastings had their first chance a minute later as Billy Medlock cut in from the left but shot wide.

Stuart King's shot heads for upright
Stuart King’s shot heads for upright

The visitors then had their brightest spell of the first half as firstly Zac Attwood fired over the bar and then Chris Cumming-Bart shot from the edge of the area wide of the target. Whitstable regained control of the half as on 36 minutes King found himself free. He paused and then timed his lob over Rose to perfection to find the back of the net and give Whitstable the lead. King could have got his second two minutes later when he fired a shot that was pushed onto the post by Rose. With two minutes to go before the break Joe Kennett ghosted in on the far post but was also denied by the upright. Sam Cruttwell had a shot on the run for Hastings on the stroke of half time but his attempt went wide. Whitstable could count themselves unlucky to only be one ahead at the break.

The second half started with Hastings on the attack as Cumming-Bart had a shot tipped over by Town keeper Dan Eason. The hosts were however still creating chances as Grant found himself one on one with goalkeeper Rose but his attempt was

Joe Kennett hits the woodwork
Joe Kennett hits the woodwork

spooned over the bar. Hastings did get the ball in the net on 56 minutes but the goal was ruled out for offside. King had another opportunity as he broke free but fired wide. A Grant cross after 62 minutes was spilled by Rose but King could not get onto the ball. Town were now starting to tire and the balance of play went back towards Hastings. Cumming-Bart shot straight at Eason and then on 76 minutes Sam Cole was also denied by the Town keeper. Then came the equaliser with ten minutes to go as Town could not get the ball away and Sam Adams was on hand to turn the ball into the net. Two minutes into injury time Charlie Smith hit a shot that was saved well by Rose. However another minute and Hastings stole the points as a corner went deep into the Town penalty area allowing Sean Ray to fire home on the far post.

Hastings can count themselves fortunate to come away with all three points when on the balance of play a draw was probably a more fitting result.


Team: Eason, Bewick, Crimmen, Punton, Thompson R, Kennett, Conlon, Wilson, King (Smith 89mins) , Grant (Jackson I 68mins), Hassan