Nick Treadwell heads for goal
Nick Treadwell heads for goal

Whitstable Town 1 Corinthian Casuals 2

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 11th April 2015

Whitstable Town went down 2-1 deservedly at home to Corinthian-Casuals on Saturday afternoon.

Town did create the early chances and Ian Pulman shot straight at Casuals keeper  Danny Bracken within the first minute and then a ball was fed through to Tom Loynes who spooned the ball over the bar. Within these early stages Pulman had another opportunity from a free kick but again his shot went straight into the arms of Bracken. Casuals always looks

Ian Pulman's shot is saved by Danny Bracken
Ian Pulman’s shot is saved by Danny Bracken

dangerous on the break and it was Juevan Spencer who broke through one on one with Town keeper Luke Watkins who did really well to block the attempt.  Half way through the half a dipping shot from Town’s Scott Heard went just over the bar but another attack from the visitors broke the deadlock on 32 minutes when ball found its way to Carl Wilson-Denis who slotted the ball home past Watkins. Ten minutes before the interval Pulman had another  attempt that was easily collected by Bracken. Casuals nearly increased their lead a minute before the interval when Danny Dudley headed over from a corner.

Ian Pulman slots home from the penalty spot
Ian Pulman slots home from the penalty spot

The second half started as the first as Town tried to find a way round the resolute Casuals defence. Pulman had an attempt on 49 minutes which was saved well by Bracken and then a cross from Heard found Loynes who headed wide. However Casuals also had their share of the chances and it was David Hodges who looped the ball over Watkins but just over the bar as well. On 63 minutes Pulman had another chance from the edge of the area but pulled the ball wide.  Two minutes later Jamie Byatt weaved his way through the Town defence into the penalty area and fired home to increase Casuals lead.  Town started to press and were given a penalty that some may consider harsh when Joe Kane was brought down by Joe Hicks in the penalty area. Up stepped Ian Pulman to slot the ball home.  Town nearly got an equaliser on the stroke of full time when a Pulman ball in found Kane Rowland but the Town striker could not quite turn enough to get his shot in and the ball was scrambled away.

After the Herne Bay game on Monday it was a little bit of “after the Lord Mayor’s  show as Town could not get a point.

Town: Watkins, Gray, Mackenzie, Kane, Doherty (James 51 mins), Treadwell (Wedgeworth 51mins), Heard, Girt, Pulman, Rowland, Loynes