Anyone who has visited the Belmont Ground this season will probably have noticed it is looking better than it has done for some time. Since the end of last season, many hours have been spent by members of the club committee and a band of loyal volunteers who regularly work at the ground. The pitch obviously requires a lot of time and resources to ensure the playing surface is as good as possible and this will no doubt need more effort now the wintry weather has arrived. Around the ground though, there is a long list of jobs that always need attention to either maintain or improve the facilities for those that visit.
Over the past six months or so, there have been so many things done and a sample is listed below:
- Repairs to the changing room roof and ceilings
- Decorating the inside of the changing rooms
- Fixing new boards to buildings to help weatherproofing
- Cleaning and painting all around the ground – buildings, fences and stand roof
- Fixing new side protection to both stands
- Fixing of new advertising boards to perimeter fencing
- Erection of new gates to the car park – kindly donated by Stuart Thorne
- Provision of a new bench, donated by supporters in memory of Peter Blackmore
- Putting a new door on the switch room
- Concreting uneven parts of the path in front of the stand
- Removal of three trees behind the goal and seeding the area
- Clearing out equipment stores
- Continual weeding, grass cutting and litter disposal
- Clearing of rubbish behind the stand
The club has also carried out the following tasks:
- Servicing and repair of the floodlights
- Acquisition of new coolers for the bar
- Acquisition/servicing of pitch maintenance equipment
- Servicing/replacing the fire extinguishers and alarms
- Tidying the club office
There remains a long list of outstanding jobs, as you can imagine!
It is hard to thank everyone without missing somebody, so apologies if that is the case, but the club would like to especially thank the following volunteers for their support and the many hours they have given collectively in recent months: John Ledger, Colin Matthews, Alan Taylor, Steve Dale, Colin Marsh, Jeff Castle, Stuart Thorne and Andy Bruce.
If anyone else would like to help, there is always plenty to do and you are always welcome to come along on Monday, Wednesday or Friday mornings when a selection of regular faces from the club including Joe, Dave, Doug, Ron, Les, Bernie and Alex are usually to be found.
It is also appropriate to mention at this point, the great job that Oscar is doing managing the bar and raising the profile of the clubhouse. There has been a noticeable increase in the use of this facility and if anyone would like to hire it for an event, please get in touch with him or the club’s new commercial manager, Mark Jones. Their contact details can be found on this website. The club is also fortunate to have a number of friendly, hard-working bar staff, together with the Blackmore family who continue to run “Pat’s Pantry” and provide match day refreshments.
“Sponsor The Grandstand”
As you are probably aware, one of the bigger jobs that we would like to tackle before the start of next season is to repair where necessary and then put new seats into the main stand. We have launched an initiative where we are asking supporters to help fund this by donating £20 a seat and have set a target to sell 250, thereby raising £5,000. We will record the names of all who contribute and perhaps be able to select someone to have the chance to name the stand. In addition we are also offering three prizes that will be drawn once the target has been reached. We have had a great response already, raising over £800 in a few weeks, so if anyone else is interested please contact us through the website, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by seeing Joe, Ron or Les at the ground.
If you would like to help in any other way or maybe have a suggestion of something you would like to see done at the ground, please get in touch.
Here is a selection of recent photos taken around the ground: