Away Win For The Oysterboys

SCEFL Premier Division
Tuesday August 16 19.45

In their first away game of the season, Whitstable picked up three points at Deal Town thanks to two second half goals by Aaron Quain to move into second place in the early table. The Charles Ground now has a new clubhouse and a decent playing surface, but it was quite a breezy evening.

Whitstable kept the same eleven that had started the previous game, but suffered an early blow when Darren Marsden picked up an injury and had to be replaced by Harris Rodgers after just 15 minutes. The first half was fairly even, with few clear cut chances, although Whitstable won the corner count by four to one. Deal’s Charlie Walsh sent a number of long throws into the box, but the away defence dealt with them well.

In the 19th minute Lee Winfield played a clever pass inside the full back for Rodgers, who crossed to Newman Poku, but his attempt was blocked amid some claims for handball. After 33 minutes one of several Walsh shots from around the edge of the box took a deflection but was collected by Dan Eason just under the bar. As the interval approached, Scott Punton and Nick Treadwell combined to set up Aaron Quain, but his shot curled over and the match remained goalless at half time.

Quain about to score his first
Quain about to score his first
Whitstable celebrate the opening goal
Whitstable celebrate the opening goal

Eason was forced to pull off his best save of the night to prevent Carl Munday giving Deal the lead after 53 minutes as his shot from 20 yards headed for the top corner. Deal enjoyed a good spell of pressure for the next few minutes and a Punton foul earned the only card of the evening. Whitstable were to take the lead though in the 57th minute, as Quain collected the ball and surged down the left then played a good ball across to Treadwell whose shot was turned away for a corner by Chris Waymark. From the corner the ball eventually fell to Quain and his low shot through a crowd of players finished in the corner of the net. After this Whitstable were largely dominant with Treadwell, Winfield and Collado winning everything in midfield. Callum Wraight, who had a good game at left back, sent in a cross that was just kept out and a Rodgers run and cross just evaded Poku in the box. At the other end another Deal shot from outside the box was deflected behind for a corner.

Harris Rodgers breaks away
Harris Rodgers breaks away
Aaron Quain about to strike the second
Aaron Quain about to strike the second

The second Whitstable goal came in the 79th minute as Rodgers was brought down a couple of yards outside the penalty area on the left. As Winfield and Quain stood over the ball, it looked like the ideal position for a right footer, but Quain struck it powerfully with his left and it bent into the far corner. The visitors did threaten to add a third, with Rodgers working his way into a good position, but he was unable to get a shot away. A late Connor Coyne shot for Deal was off target.

Whitstable will be happy with a 2-0 away win at a ground they have not always found points easy to come by and can now look forward to a big FA Cup tie against Eastbourne Town at the weekend.

Deal Town
Chris Waymark, Sam Short (Ollie Mentessi 39), Danny Smith, Alex Coyne (Matt Causer 74), Grant Bagley, Dean Hill (c), Joe Anderson, Andy Miller, Connor Coyne, Charlie Walsh, Carl Munday.
Subs (unused): Ryan Woodbury, John Sparks.

Whitstable Town
Dan Eason (c), Scott Punton, Callum Wraight, Ollie Lee, Joe Kennett, Lee Winfield, Nick Treadwell, Jamie Collado (Ollie Brown 89), Newman Poku, Darren Marsden (Harris Rodgers 15), Aaron Quain (Grant McIlheron 80).
Sub (unused): Charlie Manning.
Goals: Aaron Quain 57, 79.
Yellow card: Scott Punton 56.

Attendance: 110
Referee: Jack Fagg
Assistants: Matt McCaughan & Alexander Jones