Dan Eason saves well
Dan Eason saves well

Carshalton Athletic 2 Whitstable Town 1

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 7th November 2015

Whitstable Town huffed and puffed on Saturday but never quite got on top as they went down 2-1 at Carshalton Athletic.

Whitstable did start the brighter when Connor Heffernan put in a cross to Josh Algar who was beaten to the ball by Carshalton keeper Luke Colquhoun. Town were unlucky on eleven minutes when Ira Jackson cut in and slammed his shot against the upright. Carshalton had to wait until 18 minutes when Daniel Summers blasted a curling shot which was well

Ira Jackson on the ball
Ira Jackson on the ball

saved by Dan Eason in the Whitstable goal. Within 60 seconds Carshalton had another chance as a corner from Billy Marshall found Tony Sinclair whose header brushed the top of the cross bar. Town continued to create chances as Connor Heffernan put in a cross that Marcel Henry-Frances couldn’t quite stretch enough to divert the ball towards the goal. Algar then had a dipping shot that went just over the bar. On 40 minutes another corner from Carshalton’s Marshall was met with a shot from Summers which went straight at Eason. Within a minute Kieron Campbell broke in from the left and sent a shot wide. However it was business as usual on 42 minutes as Tommy Bradford broke through the Town defence, took his time, and placed the ball past Eason to give the hosts a half time lead.

The early part of the second period saw Carshalton on the attack as four minutes into the half Youseff Bamba fired a shot which was saved by Eason. Things then got worse for Town as Carshalton increased their lead. A ball in from Bobby Price found Summers who fired home at the near post. Town did try to fight back as on the hour Ira Jackson delayed his shot and fired straight at Colquhoun. Carshalton still looked dangerous as Bamba cut in and shot over. Mitchell Dickensen fired over the bar from a long range shot and then Henry-Frances did the same four minutes later. Another cross from Marshall for

Michael Hurcomb gets Town's goal
Michael Hurcomb gets Town’s goal

Carshalton found Jake Downs who headed over the bar. Town did get what proved a consolation on 83 minutes as Michael Hurcomb latched onto a loose ball and fire home from close range. Town did press for an equaliser but could not quite create that opportunity which may have brought them a point. To rub salt in the wounds Cameron Heffernan was shown a red card after an incident by the corner flag.

Another game without a point that leaves Town with continuing serious problems in the relegation zone.

Team: Eason, Cameron Heffernan, Wraight, Keyte (Hurcomb 67 mins), Punton (Cheek 67mins), Dickensen, Jackson, Algar, Henry-Frances, Connor Heffernan, Campbell.