Ollie gray has an early chance
Ollie Gray has an early chance

Carshalton Athletic 1 Whitstable Town 1

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 28th March 2015

Whitstable Town took a point from a one all draw away at Carshalton Athletic on Saturday afternoon.

Town had the better of the first half and only had to wait until four minutes before Joe Kane looped a header onto the far post. Carshalton had to wait until seven minutes for their first chance  when Ricardo Panton had an attempt from the edge of the area which went high over the bar. Whitstable however were now having the bulk of the chances as on eleven minutes a

Scott Heard's penalty hits the back of the net
Scott Heard’s penalty hits the back of the net

long range effort from Scott Heard went high over the bar and then Tom Loynes came into the game as he firstly got on the end of a long ball but lifted his effort just over the bar and then he fed Ollie Gray whose attempt went wide. Half way through the half Nick Treadwell had another chance as he shot wide. Carshalton’s attempts in the first half were few and far between but they did threaten twice around the half hour mark as firstly Jordan Clarke hit a bullet shot straight at Aaron James and then Joshua Adusei hit a free kick from the edge of the area over the bar. On 38 minutes Loynes was in the action again as he shot over from an angle.

It appeared that Town may rue the number of missed chances in the first half as Carshalton stole the initiative. Firstly 60 seconds into the half Mickel Miller shot wide and then on 51 minutes Clarke hit a free kick over the bar.

Nick Treadwell challenges
Nick Treadwell challenges

Town keeper,  Luke Watkins then had to be at his best as he saved from  Tommy Bradford. On the hour the pressure told as Whitstable fell behind as Peter Wedgeworth was adjudged to have brought down Bradford in the penalty area. Adriano Moraes slotted his penalty into the corner of the net.  Clarke then had two opportunities to increase the lead as he firstly shot just wide of the target and then on 71 minutes he broke through one on one with Watkins who managed skilfully to claw the ball away as he challenged the hosts striker.  However on 82 minutes Loynes was brought down in the Carshalton penalty area and it was Heard who brought the scores level from the penalty spot.  Town were the side who now pressed for a winner as Heard fired over with four minutes left on the clock and then two minutes into injury time Wedgeworth hit a free kick  over the bar when Carshalton had been reduced to ten men as Moroes was sent off for a second yellow card towards the end of the game.

With a game of two halves it was probably a fair result on the balance of play.

Team: Watkins, Gray, Mackenzie, James (Donnelly 50 mins), Doherty (Wedgeworth 45 mins) Treadwell, Heard, Girt, Kane, Rowland, Loynes