Whitstable Town FC


Charlie Smith gets goal back

Faversham Town 2 Whitstable Town 1

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 23rd January 2016

Another Saturday afternoon and another one where with luck Whitstable could have come away with something but when you are at the bottom things don’t go for you as they lost 2-1 away at Faversham Town.

Faversham did have the best of the first half although Ira Jackson did send in a dangerous cross after two minutes across the Faversham penalty area. The hosts had to wait until eleven minutes before their first attempt as George Monger sent a shot

Will Godman saves Faversham

sailing over the bar. Ryan Cooper was next to threaten the Whitstable goal as he weaved his way into the penalty area but screwed his shot wide and Renford Tenyue should have done better when he found himself in space but off balance he also fired wide. Whitstable were still looking dangerous on the break and Dean Grant found himself one on one but fired straight at Faversham keeper Will Godman. Godman then had to stretch to catch a lob from Stuart King. The deadlock was broken on 24 minutes as Faversham took the lead as Charley Robertson stabbed home a loose ball. Robertson was in the action again when he fired wide. Whitstable keeper Dan Eason had to be at his best to push a Monger around the post. With a minute to go to half time a Reiss Crimmen throw went deep into the Faversham penalty area but was headed wide by Joe Kennett.

The second half started with Whitstable beginning to create the better chances. Grant hit a long range shot just wide after 47 minutes. Twelve minutes into the half a snap shot from David Botterill went wide at the other end. King then sent a header wide from a Cameron Heffernan cross but it was Faversham who then increased their lead on 66 minutes as Matt Bourne lopped a header over the defence and into the net. However Whitstable did not lay down and die and continued to fight back. Wayne Wilson hit a dipping shot wide from

Dan Eason saves well

distance and then delivered a corner on 74 minutes that was headed in by substitute Charlie Smith to narrow the gap and give the visitors hope. A minute later Whitstable could have been level as Godman had to be at his best to save a King attempt from point blank range. A couple of late free kicks from Wilson threatened the Faversham goal. One went wide and the other was well tipped over by Godman.

Faversham hung on and left a spirited Whitstable to wonder when the luck is going to come to continue the fight against relegation.

Team: Eason, Heffernan Ca, Crimmen, Jackson I (Smith 45 mins), Kennett, Thompson R, Stannard (Sayer 85mins), Wilson, King, Grant, Conlon