Whitstable Town FC


Joe Lester gets first

Whitstable Town 2  Three  Bridges 4

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Monday 21st April 2014

Whitstable Town are now safe for another Ryman League season but it was thanks to Sittingbourne’s win at Redhill as Town fell to a 4-2 defeat at home to Three Bridges.

Town looked nervous at the outset of the game and found themselves one-nil down after five minutes when Allan Tait fired home to give Three Bridges the lead. After 12 minutes Town had their first attack when an Ashley Miller cross could not quite find Joe Kane. A minute later Town

Lester gets second

had a penalty turned down when Charlie Smith appeared to be fouled in the penalty area but the referee waived away their appeals. Three Bridges had a free kick on the edge of the area but Lee Carney could only fire straight at goalkeeper Luke Watkins. Then on 33 minutes Tony Garrod hit a shot with the inside of his foot but the ball went over the bar and then three minutes later Tait turned and shot wide. As the half progressed, the hosts came more into the game and got a reward for their revival when after 38 minutes ran through the defence sent in a cross which Joe Lester slotted home.

The second half started similar to the first with Three Bridges looking more threatening. Matt Daniel got the ball in the Town net after 47 minutes but the linesman was flagging for offside and then six minutes later he restored Bridges lead when he slotted home following a melee in the Town penalty area.  Three Bridges continued to dominate and Williams Peauroux shot wide of the target after 63 minutes. The game was put beyond Town’s reach after 63 minutes when they gave away a penalty. Up stepped Daniel who sent Watkins the wrong

Joe Lester receives man of the match award from Peter Barnes from the FA

way. Town then had a bright spell as firstly David Raggett crossed dangerously but Martin Grant did well to cut out the opportunity. With ten minutes to go Lester gave Town a little bit of hope when he headed in a John Guest cross.  Three Bridges restored the lead with 4 minutes to go when Elliott Romain broke into the penalty area and drove the ball home. Town’s afternoon got worse when Macauley Murray was sent off in injury time for bringing down a Three Bridges striker.

This was a poor performance from Town with the afternoon only made better by the news that Sittingbourne had held onto a 3-2 win at Redhill and so Town are safe for another season.

Team: Watkins, Kane, Parter, Harvey, Wells D, Guest, Heard, Taylor (Hafner 53 mins), Smith C (Lester 21 mins), Miller (Raggett 64 mins), Murray