Whitstable Town FC


Micheal Everitt fires home opener

Whitstable Town 2

Folkestone Invicta 1

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 30th March 2013

Whitstable battled out a deserved victory against play off hopefuls Folkestone Invicta on Saturday. Their dogged performance takes them closer to Ryman League survival.

The opening exchanges were fairly even with the first opportunity coming for Folkestone after eleven minutes when Josh Burchell fired a speculative shot from  outside the penalty area high over the bar.  After 15 minutes Town took the lead when ex Invicta midfielder Micheal Everitt got on the end of a cross from Adam Woollcott to fire home a shot from the near post into the top right hand corner of the net.  Folkestone had the

Another Dean Ruddy save

next opportunity after 28 minutes when another hopeful shot from Phil Stevenson went wide of the target.  It did look like Folkestone had equalised when after 32 minutes Stevenson found himself one on one with Dean Ruddy in Town’s goal but Ruddy was able to deflect his shot just wide. From the resultant corner Frankie Chappell had his header well saved by Ruddy. A minute later Tom Axford pulled the ball back from the by line to find Scott Heard whose tame shot went over the bar. Burchell did have another chance after 42 minutes but his shot was well saved by Ruddy.  Town then broke away two minutes before half time to increase their lead.  Heard from the right wing after undid  the offside trap and pulled the ball back to Woollcott who fired home to give Town a deserved two goal half time lead.

The second half started quietly with the first opportunity coming after 55 minutes when Burchell sent a shot wide of the target.  Five minutes later  Laurence Harvey for Whitstable  could not get

Adam Woollcott hits second

enough power behind his header to get the ball past Jack Delo.  Invicta did pull a goal back after 71 minutes when substitute Johan Ter Horst broke free and fired home from the left hand side using his right foot. Town then defended solidly and looked effective on the break with Buster Smissen finding himself in an attacking position but couldn’t get his shot away.  After 78 minutes there was a melee in the Folkestone penalty area with first Smissen then James Everitt and finally Heard hitting shots that did not quite produce a goal.

Town then held on to ensure three points which were made more of a bonus by results below them.

Team: Ruddy, Axford (Southall 85 mins), Brunt, M Everitt, Harvey, Crimmen, Woollcott (Smissen 54mins), Morrish,  D Raggett (MacKenzie 65mins), J Everitt, Heard