Whitstable Town FC


James Everitt forces an early save

Burgess Hill Town 2 Whitstable Town 0

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Saturday 6th April 2013

Whitstable’s game at Burgess Hill on Saturday was almost a mirror image of their last trip to Sussex when they went down to the same score line at Horsham a couple of weeks ago.

The early exchanges looked promising from a Whitstable point of view and the first two attacks fell their way. First after four minutes James Everitt  found himself in the penalty area. His initial shot was saved by Mark Zawadski in the Burgess Hill goal and from the rebound he could only shoot straight back to the host’s keeper. After 16 minutes a searching cross from Jake Beecroft went

Billy Cobb attempts shot

dangerously across the penalty area but neither David Raggett or James Everitt could get a touch on the ball.  A minute later the Hilllians took the lead with their first attack of the game. Their striker Max Miller who was a threat all afternoon found himself free with only Nick Shaw to beat. His shot did hit Shaw on its way into the back of the net. Town’s best effort of the half came on 32 minutes when a Raggett header looked goal bound until Zawadski stretched to tip the ball round the post. James Everitt had another effort after 35 minutes but his shot missed the target. Then on 37 minutes a poor clearance by Tom Axford seemed to be going goal bound but Shaw saved to save his blushes.

The second half started with Whitstable on the attack but struggling to create any meaningful opportunities.  After 61 minutes Adam Woollcott got on the end of a ball from Axford but sent his shot wide. Two shots in two minutes from the hosts midfielder Nicky Wheeler caused some concern. He firstly sent a speculative shot that was easily saved by Shaw. Then a minute later he again attempted a shot that went wide.  Another volley from Ryan Thompson went wide for the hosts after 71 minutes.  After 85 minutes Whitstable could have drawn level when an attempt from Micheal Everitt crashed against the cross bar. Unfortunately three minutes later Burgess Hill sealed

Nick Shaw saves penalty

their win. A poor clearance from  Shaw did not clear away an attack . Substitute George Hayward sent a shot which Shaw saved well but the rebound fell to Thompson who hammered the ball home.  Two minutes into injury time and Billy Cobb broke free for the Reds but hit his shot went hard against the post.  Then right on the final whistle a Burgess Hill attack ended with Shaw bringing down a Burgess Hill striker in the penalty area. The referee had no choice but to point to the spot and Shaw was probably lucky to get away with a yellow card. Thompson stepped up but his penalty was brilliantly saved by Shaw to his right.

It was a disappointing afternoon for the visitors where they did not create enough chances and the points went deservedly to the Hillians.

Team: Shaw, Axford (Cobb 81mins), Brunt, Everitt M, Harvey, Lee, Beecroft, Morrish, Raggett (O’Connell 63 mins (Hanshaw 73mins)), Everitt J, Woolcott.