Whitstable Town FC



Buster Smissen heads home opener

Herne Bay 1 Whitstable Town 1

Ryman Football League Division One (South)

Monday 1st April 2013

There was stalemate on Monday afternoon when local rivals Whitstable Town and Herne Bay fought out a one all draw for the second time this season at Winch’s Field. The game was definitely negatively impacted by the strong wind that was blowing throughout the duration limiting the entertainment for the crowd of 444.

Whitstable who had the wind behind them in the first half took control. Their first attack after ten minutes saw Town take the lead when a cross from Jake Beecroft found Buster Smissen who fired home his header giving Luke Nalder in the Bay goal no chance. Seven minutes later Beecroft unleashed a shot on the turn but it went just wide. On 19 minutes Michael Turner had the first effort for the Bay but his shot was blocked by Dean Ruddy.

Town on the attack

Just a minute later Herne Bay substitute Billy Bennett scooped a shot way over the cross bar. After 25 minutes Smissen had another chance but could not get any connection as the ball swirled in the wind. Then on 31 minutes Bay had their best opportunity of the half when Byron Walker broke down the left and send a shot that went across the goalmouth and out for a goal kick. On half time Laurence Harvey sent a header over the bar.

The half time score of one nil did reflect the play and the only worry for Town was that going into the wind in the second half things could be different. However the early exchanges of the half should have allowed Town to seal the points. After 48 minutes Smissen hooked a shot over the bar and then on 55 minutes a clumsy challenge in the penalty area by Nathan Eastwood on Scott Heard led to the referee pointing to the spot. Up stepped Micheal Everitt who keep replacing the ball as the wind blew it off the spot. Eventually his shot cannoned off the cross bar and the chance was gone. This seemed to turn the game as Herne Bay got more of the play.  On 65 minutes Billy

Micheal Everitt slams penalty against crossbar

Bennett found himself free and unleashed a shot that Ruddy could only get his finger tips too as the ball sailed into the net. The Bay continued to press for a winner but were unable to break through a resolute Town defence. Two more chances as Billy Cobb sent a shot over the bar for Town after 83 minutes and Bay winger Rhys Lawson broke through but his shot was blocked for a corner.

On reflection a point apiece was a fair reflection of the game as Town moved onto that magic 40 points.

Team: Ruddy, Axford (Cobb 77mins), Brunt, Everitt M, Harvey, Lee, Beecroft, Morrish (Raggett D 45 mins), Smissen, Everitt J, Heard.